Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Reupholstery Gone Right!

My Materials 
  • 1 Thonet Mid-Century Modern Bentwood Armchair, antique shop ($50) 
  • 1 Thonet Mid-Century Modern Bentwood Armchair w/fabric, ebay ($30) 
  • 3 yds Company C Nori fabric in Slate, modern-fabrics.com ($100) 
  • Upholstery Services, Houston-based ($130 per/chair)  
My Story  
So here's how it all got started. I found the first Thonet chair a few years back at an antique shop in Tenaha, TX, on my way heading back to Houston from Shreveport. I fell in love with the lines of the chair and knew it was a great find @ $50.  As luck would have it, I found the second Thonet chair a little over a month ago on Ebay for $30. It was local, so it was an even better find. 

Initially, I had considered reupholstering in leather, but after online research about mid-century modern furniture, I stumbled upon some great resources for fabrics and fell in love w/ the Company C Nori fabric in Slate from Modern Fabrics.  
Note: At the time of writing this blog, it seems that fabric color is currently not available anymore. Boo!
Compnay C Nori Slate Fabric
Fabric Sample
Compnay C Nori Slate Fabric
Fabric Info


 









At any rate, the next step was to determine whether I would attempt reupholstering myself or leave it to the professionals. And after a bit of online research on DYI , it was clear that I should consult a pro, which I did. I found a nice little upholstery shop in the antique district here in Houston and let Luis do his  magic and boy, did he ever!  He was even able to replicate the arm padding that had only been on one of the chairs--Fantastic! (Thanks, Luis!)

My Results
So, without further ado, here are the finished products: 

Chair 1 (antique find) Before/After - click to enlarge

Chair 2 (ebay find) Before/After - click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment